List of Top 10 largest shipping companies in India (2020): The Shipping sector is a huge multi-billion dollar business. This industry is the lifeblood of the world economy.
It represents 90% of world trade. Ships can transport goods in quantities that are impossible with any other mode of transport.
Speaking of the industry, Who is the number one shipping company? What are the top shipping companies? or Who is the number one shipping company? Here we present the List of Top 10 largest shipping companies in India,
List of Top 10 Shipping Companies in India are as follows
|Revenue||₹39,026.9 million (US$560 million)|
The Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) is a public sector company of the Indian government based in Mumbai that manages and operates ships that serve both national and international lines.
It’s come into no1 LIST OF TOP 10 SHIPPING COMPANIES IN INDIA (2020)
SCI was founded on October 2, 1961, from the merger of Eastern Shipping Corporation and Western Shipping Corporation. Two other shipping companies, Jayanti Shipping Company and Mogul Lines Limited, were merged with SCI in 1973 and 1986 respectively.
The SCI started with 19 ships. Gradually it became a conglomerate with 80 ships of 5.9 million deadweight tons (DWT) with interests in different segments of the maritime trade.
SCI also achieved the prestigious status of “Navratna” by the Indian government in 2008.
SCI Objectives | No1 Best shipping companies in India
Shipping Corporation of India Ltd. works to achieve its goals as follows:
- Provide its customers with safe, environmentally sustainable, reliable, efficient, and quality shipping services, complying with all legal and other requirements.
- Being a very profitable, viable, ethical, and socially responsible commercial organization that contributes to the national economy by ensuring a reasonable return on capital and satisfying the needs of the nation.
- Owning or acquiring an adequate, well-designed, and efficient fleet to meet the demand for global maritime trade through options such as leasing, the charter of death, joint ventures, and other innovative financial measures.
- Be one of the main players in the Indian offshore and other marine activities and continue to explore diversification opportunities for the constant growth of the Company.
- Improve the competence and professionalism of fleet and coastal personnel through effective and dynamic human resource management.
- Continuously improve its efficiency in processes and technology, adopting various measures including e-governance and the optimal use of information technology.
- Minimize environmental risks and impacts to achieve safety, health, and environmental performance.
Read Also: Top 10 Direct Selling Companies in India
|Revenue||US$12 billion (2018)|
Essar Group, founded by Shashi Ruia and Ravi Ruia, in 1969, as a construction company, subsequently diversified into various key sectors, to become one of the largest multinational conglomerates in India.
its come to no 2 LIST OF TOP 10 SHIPPING COMPANIES IN INDIA (2020)
Essar Global Fund Limited (EGFL) controls a range of activities in all key energy sectors (oil refining, oil and gas exploration, and production, energy), infrastructure (ports, projects),
metals and mines and services (shipments, oil services, IT). EGFL holds almost 100% of the capital of all its investments
Since 1969, and over the last 50 years, Essar has been dedicated to developing key sectors of the Indian economy through investments in Greenfield and Brownfield.
Essar promoters have made a conscious decision to invest in these sectors and make India self-sufficient. They pioneered the entry of the private sector into capital-intensive activities and, despite the overwhelming odds, continued to complete its committed investments.
We will be a respected global entrepreneur, thanks to the power of positive action.
We are committed to innovative growth, through our passion, reinforced by a professional mentality, creating value for all those we touch.
3.Great eastern shipping Company.
|Revenue||₹42.00 billion (US$610 million)|
Great Eastern Shipping Company Limited is India’s largest private sector shipping company that mainly transports liquids, gases, and solid bulk products.
The company has two main activities, shipping and offshore. Maritime activity is engaged in the transport of crude oil, petroleum products,
gas, and raw materials in bulk. The offshore business; provides services to oil companies in carrying out offshore exploration and production activities through its 100% subsidiary Greatship (India) Limited, based in Mumbai.
The shipping sector has obtained ISO 9001: 2000 certification from DNV.
Great eastern SHIPPING COMPANIES IN INDIA
G E Shipping was founded by the Sheths and Bhiwandiwallas, who started their shipping line to help expand the scope of their business activities. In 1948,
after obtaining the spaceship Liberty, SS Fort Elice, G E Shipping began its maiden voyage under the entrepreneurial genius of Vasant J. Sheth and advanced confidently, tasting new waters and exploring new roads. As of 2007,
it had around 944 employees, including on-board personnel. It is listed on the two main stock exchanges in India i. is. the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange.
COMMITTEES OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Mr. Cyrus Guzder, Chairman
Mr. Berjis Desai
Mr. Farrokh Kavarna
Ms. Rita Bhagwati
Nomination and Remuneration
Mr. Cyrus Guzder, Chairman
Mr. Berjis Desai
Mr. Farrokh Kavarna
Mr. Shankar Acharya
Mr. Cyrus Guzder, Chairman
Mr. Bharat K. Sheth
Mr. G. Shivakumar
Corporate Social Responsibility
Mr. Vineet Nayyar, Chairman
Mr. Cyrus Guzder
Mr. Bharat K. Sheth
|Revenue||₹13.52 billion (US$200 million)|
Bharati Defense and Infrastructure Limited (formerly known as Bharati Shipyard Limited) was incorporated on June 22, 1976.
It began its activity as a partnership in 1968 which was converted into a limited liability company in 1976 and subsequently into a limited liability company in 1996.
Bharati Shipyard come on LIST OF TOP 10 SHIPPING COMPANIES IN INDIA (2020)
It has state-of-the-art shipbuilding and manufacturing facilities in Dabhol, Ratnagiri, Goa, Mangalore, Chennai, and Calcutta. The company’s IPO in 2004 was signed 78 times
The BDIL product portfolio has evolved from small ships and tugboats to sophisticated offshore vessels such as Platform Support Vessels (PSVs), Anchor Handling Support Vessels (AHTSVs), Offshore Support Vessels (OSVs),
jack-up platforms; medium-sized LNG-propelled ships and smaller defense vessels.
It is also involved in the design and construction of various types of maritime, coastal, port, and internal vessels. The product range includes cargo barges, dredges, tugs for ocean tractors, cargo ships, etc. BDIL also builds specialized and sophisticated ships for exploration and production (E&P),
coastal and maritime market companies.
The management of the company includes pre-planning, shipbuilding, ship repair, construction of drilling rigs
The company was put in difficulty due to the global and internal slowdown in the shipbuilding industry which led to the cancellation of contracts that led to the creation of unsustainable debt/financing costs
He approached the corporate debt restructuring (CDR) cell for debt restructuring under the CDR system in December 2011.
The CDR scheme was revoked by the lenders in August 2014 Post CDR, the majority lenders sold their participation in Edelweiss, with Edelweiss ARC currently holding about 82% of secured debt
Process of resolving corporate insolvencies initiated by Edelweiss ARC according to the provisions of the Bankruptcy and Bankruptcy Code, 2016 with effect from 6 June 2017
|Revenue||₹200 billion (US$2.9 billion)|
It is one of the leading shipbuilding companies based in Ahmedabad in India. It has started in 1985.
India’s leading shipping company is part of the ABG group of companies. He is doing his shipbuilding operations in Surat and Dahej in Gujarat.
It also offers naval maintenance services through its service center in Goa. Its headquarters is located in Ahmedabad. It is one of the top 10 shipping companies in India.
It offers a wide range of services including ship design, shipbuilding, and ship repair.
ABG Shipyard Ltd builds a range of commercial ships. These include bulk carriers with automatic loading and unloading, container ships, floating cranes, split barges, handling tugs, dynamic positioning vessels, offshore supply vessels, and dive support vessels.
ABG was granted permission by the Indian government to build warships and various other ships for the Indian Navy.
It was the second company shipyard to receive this license after the Pipavav yard.
In 2004, he obtained a contract for the construction of anti-pollution ships for the Indian Coast Guard. In 2009, the shipyard was selected to build 11 high-speed water jet interceptors for the coast guard.
|Revenue||₹683.90 crores (US$99 million)|
Mercator Limited is a shipping company in India. Previously it was known as Mercator Lines Ltd. The Mercator group of companies has diversified commercial interests in coal, oil and gas, freight transport, and dredging. Mercator Limited (formerly Mercator Lines Ltd.) is the parent company and is the second private sector shipping company in India, based in Mumbai. It has recently collected offshore activities with its subsidiaries Mercator Oil and Gas Ltd and Mercator Offshore Ltd.
- Mercator Ltd was incorporated on November 24, 1983, as a limited liability company. It was converted into a joint-stock company on 3 April 1984.
- He has done pioneering work operating ships in some unexplored rivers such as Tapti and has therefore opened new shipping routes. It has diversified into various business sectors.Mr. H. K. Mittal, the promoter of the company, hired him
- in 1988 and the company became the second-largest private sector shipping company in India in terms of tonnage.
- Since its first public publication in 1993, it has grown in terms of financial parameters such as turnover, profits, tonnage, and market capitalization. The Company’s shares are currently listed on the Mumbai Stock Exchange and the National Exchange. In April 2005,
- the Company completed its first international offer of convertible foreign currency bonds for a total of USD 60 million. The problem is listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange.
- The Company has also added a new business segment, namely offshore drilling with the acquisition of Jack-Up Rig. The rig received before its schedule; it was distributed immediately upon delivery in March 2009;
- for three years on the charter of rigid bare boats. The Group gave up the offshore drilling segment in March 2011 as a strategic decision.
- The company has also invested in dredging and currently has a considerable fleet.
The seventh-largest shipping company in our countdown is Gujarat Pipavav. The company could also be known as the Pipavav yard. The company is very new and was founded in 1997.
- Operations: the core business of the company is the construction of ships and the construction of merchant ships, offshore supply ships, pressure vessels, etc.
- Employees: the total number of employees working for the company could be between 3500 and 5000.
- Headquarters: the company is based in Mumbai and Rajiv Shukla is the current CEO of the company.
8. Varun Shipping | Top merchant navy companies in India
Varun’s shipyard is the eighth-largest shipping company in the top 10 in countdown order. The company had founded about 27 years ago. It is a private company and is growing very fast.
Operations: the company has around 20 ships, 10 LPG transporters, 3 oil tankers, and the core business is energy transport.
Employees: the total number of employees is between 3000 and 5000.
Headquarters: the company is based in Mumbai and is said to be the fastest-growing shipping company in India.
9. Global Offshore Services Ltd
Global Offshore Services Ltd. has promoted by the Late Padma Bhushan Shri B. D. Garware, Founder of The Garware Group of Companies.
Operations: the Global Offshore operation includes goods, personnel transfer, anchoring operations.
Employees: the total number of employees working for the global offshore could be between 2000 and 4000.
Headquarters: the company is based in Mumbai.
10.Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd
Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL) (IAST: Majhagānv Dawk Limiṭeḍ), formerly called Mazagon Dock Limited, is a shipyard located in Mazagaon, Mumbai.
It produces warships and submarines for the Indian Navy and offshore platforms and related support vessels for offshore oil drilling. He also builds oil tankers, bulk carriers, passenger ships, and ferries.
The MDL shipyards have established in the 18th century. Ownership of the yards passed through entities including the eastern and peninsular steam shipping company and the British-Indian steam shipping company.
In the end, “Mazagon Dock Limited” was registered as a public company in 1934. The yard was nationalized in 1960 and is now a public sector commitment of the Government of India.
We hope after reading this article you have now all the knowledge about the LIST OF TOP 10 SHIPPING COMPANIES IN INDIA (2020)
THANK YOU FOR TIME AND READ MORE